Spirulina Detox: All You Need To Know
- Body detoxification is a complex process that requires a combination of a healthy diet, regular exercise, and detox supplements. Including detox supplements like spirulina in your diet will allow you to reach results faster and detox more efficiently.
- Spirulina is a nutrient-rich food that contains vital vitamins and minerals. It helps to alkalize the body and remove toxins and pollutants. Besides detoxing the body, spirulina improves overall health and protects the immune system.
- Spirulina is high in antioxidants which makes it an excellent detox food. Antioxidants are vital for protecting us from free radicals and combating toxins.
- As a detox supplement, spirulina is most commonly available in powder or tablet form. But you can also choose an alternative option and consume spirulina in the form of a sparkling drink. Sparkling drinks by FUL® offer all the benefits of spirulina extract without the unpleasant fishy taste. They come in the form of delicious and sugar-free beverages, offering a great beverage to start your detox day.
We’re exposed to countless toxins every day, and our modern environment is overloaded with heavy metals. And while our body has its own internal detoxification system, sometimes, we need to take extra steps to help our bodies detox.
The liver, colon, and kidneys are the most crucial organs involved in eliminating toxins from our bodies. The liver stores toxins and prevents them from getting into the bloodstream, the kidneys filter blood and eliminate the toxins from urine, and the colon flushes toxins ingested through food. If these three organs function well, your body’s detoxification system will also work efficiently.
An abnormal build-up of heavy metals in your body can compromise the immune system’s health and put you at risk of many serious diseases. Luckily, there are some foods and supplements that can detoxify your body and get rid of all the toxins. One of these superfoods is spirulina.
What Is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a blue-green algae harvested in a water environment. This highly nutritious supplement has been used for its health benefits for thousands of years. Its vivid green-blue colour is one of the signs that shows that this food is high in antioxidants which can help protect your body from harmful free radicals and toxins and eliminate them from the system. Spirulina is also rich in vitamin B-group vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, nicotinamide, pyridoxine, and folic acid.
Top Reasons Why You Should Take Spirulina For Detox
Spirulina is one of the most effective remedies for detoxing your body because it acts as a chelator, meaning it attaches heavy metals and toxins and eliminates them from the body. There are numerous reasons why you should choose spirulina over other supplements for your detox:
- Spirulina is rich in chlorophyll - a popular antitoxin that efficiently removes pollutants from the body.
- Spirulina alkalizes the body, meaning it helps to maintain the internal pH balance. This has a positive impact on the liver and thus provides faster detox results.
- This supplement is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B and E, zinc, manganese, copper, iron, and selenium.
- This algae is a protein-rich food and is one of the few complete plant-based protein sources. Vital amino acids make up over 60% of spirulina by weight.
- Spirulina contains a lot of calcium which improves heart and nerve health by promoting muscle contraction and regulating blood clotting.
- This supplement is rich in vital fatty acids, including gamma-linolenic acid. This component has potent anti-inflammatory properties, especially if you combine it with other high-quality omega-3 supplements.
- This algae contains essential antioxidants such as phycocyanin and beta carotene. These antioxidants prevent and reverse free radical damage and promote immune system health.
- Spirulina is rich in iron, which makes it an excellent supplement for people with anaemia.
- This superfood is helpful for allergic rhinitis, and its regular consumption can alleviate unpleasant symptoms of this condition, such as nasal discharge, sneezing, nasal congestion, and itching. These symptoms often occur due to environmental allergens, such as pollen, animal hair, or wheat dust.
- Studies have found that spirulina can lower triglycerides and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels and increase “good” HDL cholesterol levels. This has a significant effect on the prevention of heart disease. Spirulina also facilitates the production of nitric oxide, a molecule that helps blood vessels relax and dilate. This controls blood pressure and prevents issues like heart attack, stroke, and chronic kidney disease.
How to Consume Spirulina During Detox?
Spirulina is an over-the-counter supplement available in different forms, but most people consume it as tablets or powder. When purchasing spirulina, you should make sure to choose an organic and certified product.
Start with a smaller amount of about half a teaspoon of this powder per day and gradually increase the dose to one tablespoon. Keep in mind that there’s no recommended dosage for spirulina, and this supplement is generally safe to use. However, you may need to consult a specialist if you suffer from auto-immune diseases or take prescribed medications because spirulina supplements might interact with other drugs.
Best Way To Take Spirulina For Detox and Cleansing
If you’ve tried this supplement before, you probably know that pure spirulina has an off-putting odour and taste, which is why most people try to mix it into their beverages and meals. However, there’s an alternative method that allows you to reap all the benefits of this superfood without having to suffer its taste or go out of your way to hide it.
Sparkling spirulina beverages by FUL® offer all the benefits of spirulina in one bottle while also satisfying your taste buds. It’s an excellent and delicious detox drink to have in the morning or sip on during the day. While many people consider detox as some diet that you have to suffer through, FUL® sparkling spirulina drinks allow you to enjoy the cleansing process while taking care of your body. It also saves you time preparing meals and beverages enriched with spirulina and measuring the correct dosage. If you’re new to detox or if you’re not a fan of traditional cleanses - try these sparkling spirulina drinks by FUL®.
How does spirulina detox the body?
Spirulina is a very powerful detoxifying agent. It chelates all types of toxins such as mercury, arsenic, radioactive materials, cadmium, pesticides, and environmental carcinogens, eliminating them from the body.
How much spirulina should I take daily to detox?
There’s no precise dose of spirulina you need to consume for detox. However, it’s recommended to consume around 3-5 grams of dry spirulina 2 or 3 times per day. It’s better to start with a smaller dose and gradually increase it. Try not to consume more than 50 grams of spirulina per day.
Does spirulina clean you out?
Yes, spirulina is excellent for alkalizing the body, which results in better liver function. Spirulina also contains chlorophyll which also helps to remove heavy metals and other toxins from the blood.
Is algae good for detox?
Yes, algae like spirulina and chlorella are very good for detox. They efficiently detoxify the body and eliminate harmful toxins. Spirulina is also a very nutrient-dense food rich in vital minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, so it’s always a good idea to add it to your diet.
Leave a comment